Friday, February 22, 2013

Notes from Staycation Day 1

About a month ago I realized I needed an enormous dose of perspective so I scheduled a staycation. The need for this was made crystal clear by an uninvited lizard brain attack loss of my filters that I will write about in a separate post. But here's where we are so far...

After I signed off at work I deleted my work email accounts from my phone and iPad and started my plan of Awesome.

First thing, before I left I received my annual review where nice things were said. No revelations but it was a chance to chat with my former manager who validated some of my frustrations. It was nice to connect with him and we had a warm conversation. He is the Red State version of myself--we always have thoughtful, deep conversations where we can put our perspectives on the table fully. I wish we had this kind of cross aisle discourse in congress.

Another nice thing that happened was the opportunity to watch a charitable org one of my programs is coaching. The Valley Verde mission is to help low income families obtain access to organic food by teaching them to garden, setting up gardens for them and being available as coaches and consultants. Additionally, they offer these services to people with the means to pay them full market rate and use that as a vehicle to employ some of their clients. I immediately signed up. My goal this week is to do a thorough clean up of my yard and hire someone to maintain it. This could be my ideal match.

Made a gallon of IPA from a kit. I have made beer in the past but 5 gallons is simply too much beer for me to consume. One gallon gives me the same pleasure of making but the consumable is gone in a reasonable amount of time. It will be ready to drink in a few weeks!

This morning my shipment from Quarterly. I'm an unashamed Tim Ferris fan so I couldn't wait to get his kit. Look at all this crazy awesome stuff! I've always wanted one of these pull saws. Also, the athletic greens is pretty tasty...pineappley. I'm also really enamoured with the pencils...they write in blue.

When I learned about Quarterly I immediately started giving subscriptions as gifts. Its just fun to get stuff in the mail.

Miss Keri and I are about to head out to Morro Bay to see my sister for the weekend--there will be wine drinking, cooking, beach walks and antiquing involved. More later...

1 comment:

  1. Good, I am glad you are taking a much needed break. I am sorry, but whenever you make the lizard brain reference, I always get a weird visual in my head... kinda funny. The garden coaching collaboration sounds so exciting! Our neighborhood has the only farm in Seattle and it's been here a long time. They do something similar and some neighbors have their own plots as well. You made me smile AGAIN. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete