Friday, November 22, 2013

100 Days of Kindness: I'm SICK part deux or how every rule has an exception

Yep, I'm just as sick as I was yesterday. Maybe I was feeling a little worse so how do you think I'm going to explain what follows?

Today I was scheduled for two conversations I really really wanted to have.

First one was a phone call with Brooke Castillo--author and coach and the guest teacher in a class I'm taking. The second one was with an executive at my current company.

Some opportunities come at the wrong time. I mean how do you have a conversation when your voice is nearly gone?

Also, keep in mind dear reader I already postponed a number of other conversations and projects in order to preserve my health. Despite feeling crummy I wanted to make an exception for these two. 

I asked my inner kind mother what could I do so I don't make myself sicker or more exhausted.

I treated myself very gently--staying still and not talking. I made hot tea to drink.  I ate something nourishing. I took time to meditate. I made sure I had every possible advantage so I would feel as good as I could so I would be present and available for both of these conversations.

Now, I absolutely could have just listened to the recording for the Brooke class. It would have been ok. I would have learned. But, she had information that specifically applied to me that I would have missed out on if I just listened to the recording.

Also, I could have rescheduled with the exec. I know we would have talked eventually but my idea was really fresh in my mind and I wanted to get it out to her while my passion for the idea was peaking. The call ended up being short and pleasant and very worthwhile.

Jen Louden wrote recently on her blog about how to know when something is too hard. I broke my own rule about resting while sick but my desire was just too strong to ignore. It's sometimes hard to know the difference between driving for the sake of relentless forward progress and paying the right price for something deeply desired.

The kindness I extended myself was in taking care of body so I could give myself the gift of experience.

What balancing act are you have going between self care and desire?

If you are working on your own 100 Days of Kindness project please let me know how you're doing by leaving a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment