Tuesday, November 26, 2013

100 Days of Kindness: I'm delusional!!!

Ha! I thought I could just waltz back into work after being flat out for 5 days.

I claimed victory over my feeble frame when in a burst of energy I managed to do all the Thanksgiving Day shopping alone. I reasoned that it would be better and easier to do it before the really hardcore, insane people started shopping (which happened about 5 minutes after I realized I forgot to get the Karo syrup and had to go back into the store). But still, shopping done! I even grilled a couple of steaks and roasted some cauliflower while Miss Keri lay in the dark with a nightmare headache. Laundry is folded and the house is ready for the cleaners to come (yes we clean before the cleaners come over).

So, I was thinking, Yah! I am BACK BABY. I made it all the way into the office with my laptop and lunch bag in hand, got my first meeting and realized I needed the wall to keep myself propped up. So, back home I go.

I'm having a dilemma. I can rest at home some more but there is this Turkey Day thing happening in 48 hours. I have a refrigerator full of groceries and 7 people who will be waiting for the magic to happen. I'm really having a hard time letting this go.

Don't get me wrong--I took over cooking these family dinners years ago because I love to do it. I love to cook and I the love oohs and ahhhhs I get for cooking amazing instagram worthy food.

When I was still feeling sick on Sunday I planned a less impressive menu (but I'm still hitting all the bases). I made a manageable schedule for baking, and planned how everything would go Wed night/Thursday. The only thing I didn't do was allow any room for the possibility that I wouldn't be ready, willing and able to get this together (even under highly planned, and reduced offerings).

I'm between denial and reality--BTW, there is no way anyone else is cooking in my kitchen. One option is that I could send the groceries over to Mom and make my sister do everything. Or, taco bell for all! My pride is starting to whisper taco bell because I don't want anyone else cooking MY TURKEY DINNER.

So I think the kindest thing I can do right now is to not make any big decisions or declarations. All I need to do right now is rest some more. I'm going have a cup of tea and some emergency soup. Tomorrow is another day. Nothing is set in stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment