Thursday, February 28, 2013

Notes from Staycation: Homework, Santa Cruz and Cool Jewelry Tools

I spent the afternoon working on the homework Coach Max gave me yesterday. Her method is partially a system of inquiry and partially teaching you to understand your internal physical cues to determine the "rightness" of a situation/direction. Once you learn those cues, you learn what to do with the information you get from them. As a person who spends a fair amount of time in my head, this is a useful approach.

But what a great day for homework! I took my notebook to Verve in Santa Cruz and sat in the sunshine enjoying an espresso as well as the low traffic on Pacific Garden.  Its amazing how the rocket fuel spurs thought! Also, just enjoying being somewhere with nowhere to go was so luxurious.

Part of my assignment was to write down a list of things I was deferring to "later". On the list was to take more walks along the water--there was no way Staycation was going to pass me by without a nice long walk on West Cliff. My physical therapist cleared me for longer, brisker walks yesterday--progress is being made!

You don't get to see how it used to look.
I spent the morning completing the organization of my home office. Part of keeping flow is making sure my space is organized for the things I do all the time. In this room I do my workout, write, meditate and play music (when I make the time that is). Before the space was too cramped and cluttered so I spent most of my time in there feeling pretty distracted--not exactly inspired. Also, gave away some things which brings me to my next topic...



Who wants to be a jeweler?!?

Tools and beads and wires--oh my!
Here is the deal. I want to trade all the materials and tools in this picture for something wonderful. This collection includes lamp worked beads, silver wire, dichroic cabochons, murano gold foil beads, fresh water pearls, a bunch of nifty charms, glass figures and too many other things too list (but can be seen in the photo. Also, the tools have every sort of plier, cutter, mandrel blah blah blah to make far more than bead based jewelry. I can see from the photo there a couple of tools that didn't make it into the frame (an extra set of wire wrapping pliers (excellent quality) and a metal block for shaping silver or other soft metals.

I want to use these things to make a connection with someone who is excited by them and who has a fun and interesting trade to make. You can use these to start a new hobby, expand an existing one, make money from what you create or even start your own Red Paper Clip project

The best part is you don't have to hang onto them--you can trade them again when you are ready for something new in your life. Tools, materials etc...they are only alive when they are in use or circulation. I wanted these to have the joy of life in them again.

The point for me doing this trade is I'm making room to pursue other interests at a deeper level. The jewelry making project served an important purpose when I took it up (and started a love affair with Venice Italy--a lifetime gift). Now its time for someone else to be sparked with magic.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Its all or nothing. I won't break up the collection.

2. We both have to be thrilled with and excited by the trade.

3. We meet in person to do the trade. Yes, I'll meet you half way somewhere. I like going places--what can I say? Also, the point is to make a connection--this should be fun and an opportunity to make friends. I might not be able to accommodate this if you are abroad...write anyway...who knows?

Included along with this are a couple extra surprises for fun. Generosity and sparking inspiration light me up!

If you are interested please leave a comment below. Looking forward to hearing from you!


3 comments:

  1. Okay, first, I wish I was in Santa Cruz just to meet up over coffee! Second, I was salivating over looking at that box of goodies! But thinking about it, I have lots of other projects on my long wish list and this one is on the tail end of that list. But don't they look like candy? I just love beads...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a generous and cool way to offer a new adventure into your life Sasha (and someone else's)! I would love to trade with you and I'm on the east coast. I have lots of books on creating your life path, discovering your strengths, etc. that I could trade. Interested and/or willing to do an east coast swap? My jewelry making skills are pretty rudimentary and I've been wanting to take a metal working class for years. Sounds as if some of these tools would be great for that.
    Love from your fellow MBLC trainee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Saunders, I actually completed this trade a while back. The daughter of a friend is exploring fashion and seemed like a good candidate to receive these. It would have been cool to exchange with you especially since we are in the same training. Are you coming to the March meetup?

      Delete