Saturday, February 9, 2013

Cult of Do

Hi it's Saturday morning. I'm starting a cult today.

I'm laying it out there. I have many failures and false starts in my life. Many things I've taken up and written about are there as reminders that I start a lot of stuff and much remains undone. Here is a list of stuff I've started that I can't say is "done" or even really off the ground:

My Undone Stuff
Book on the writing process
Wine blog on wines of the Santa Clara Valley
Blog on the things my cats bury (Paula Poundstone read some of my stuff tho!)
Russian Language skills
Learning to surf
Running a marathon
Doing an unassisted chin
Earning a black belt
Moving to Thailand to teach English
Getting a more "practical" degree
Any of the thousands of things in my craft drawers
and the list goes on and on and on but you get the idea

So what. We love to read about the end of the journey and the triumph that shows up as the residue of lengthy processes. For years I hid these little pursuits because they were my ugly children that I was afraid to trot out for fear of the shaming label of flake, dilettante or whatever it is they call folks who can't focus and get serious about anything.

I had a conversation with a good friend the other day about these fits and starts and the sad feeling of not feeling serious enough to buy into it whole heartedly (or at least get past the energy crisis of torpor and self doubt--damn that lizard brain!).

So, the Culf of Do? Its just about doing...don't feel like you have to impress me with anything you finish...its cool to do things period. There is a Cult of Done. This is not that. This is just about doing...the process and joy of digging in and losing yourself. So what if you're not serious? So what if you have to keep your day job and you only get to say Fuck Yah! I did that for 30 seconds a day. Go ahead and play around and don't worry about finishing it. Just do something. If you finish it we'll have a party! If you don't finish it we'll have a party! Yay for doing!

Ok, time to play outside. Bye!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Honorable Cult Leader,
    From childhood all the way till I was in my 30's, I felt bad when my mother pointed out how I never finished any projects. Yes, it felt... BAD, till I realized it is part of my process, I like to have several projects going at once, some are shelved forever, some finished in a year or finished next week. And that is how I like it, Goddamn it. No apologies, anymore... (all work projects I finish on time, always, because work is work and I gotta chase the almighty dollah)
    Sincerely, the Other Cult Leader of Embrace the Process(and shop steward/party planner of future projects, finished and unfinished)

    ReplyDelete