Friday, December 29, 2017

Full stop sort of, I'm just relaxing kind of


Now that Christmas has passed, I have been in a full stop mode. Well, somewhat. I still did a little post holiday shopping with Miss K and took a road trip with A to visit with someone we are collaborating with. But, more or less, I've been shirking the urge to do something productive and meaningful with my time.

Luckily I managed to catch the cold that is going around so I won't be taking anything new on today.

Ok, one thing. I made walnut milk.

Several months ago I did EverlyWell to figure out what things could be gunking up my system (the test measures for IgG reactivity which apparently can be responsible for a whole host of issues including fatigue, migraines indigestion, bloating etc etc etc).

However, after briefly scanning the results, I did nothing with them. But now, after a ton of holiday indulging, I thought it wasn't a horrible idea to take a look again.

The only thing I remembered from the list is that I'm highly sensitive to eggs (whites coming in as more sensitive than yolks). I don't eat many of them anyway. I could explain why I sometimes get nauseated eating them. I also don't eat many things with eggs as an ingredient outside the occasional baked good.

What else is there on the list?

Under "moderately reactive" I have 7 items that include usual pariahs such as soy, gluten, wheat, and barley, but also, honey (???), yogurt (again ???), and mozzarella cheese.

With the exception of barley and mozzarella, I eat these other things nearly daily (especially yogurt and honey which always seemed like a righteous breakfast choice). Annoying.

Still, I don't have celiac so even a reduction in wheat/gluten probably will have a beneficial effect without having to go crazy with obsessive label reading.

And then there are the "mildly reactive" items which have a blend of daily things and things I can take or leave. Milk is on the list--I don't usually drink milk but I do put half and half in my coffee. So is black pepper (I will not be eliminating that). So are almonds and peanuts.

I think I can work around these for the most part. 
Happily, there are far more things on the list that don't show up as reactive.

If I feel up to it, I'm going to make some non reactive butternut squash soup. Maybe.

Even though milk is supposed to be only mildly reactive (along with peanuts and almonds), and soy is supposedly an issue, I made a batch of walnut milk in my Vitamix to inaugurate my food sensitivity exploration.

Because, what is the point of experimenting with your food if you don't include some really weirdo substitute that isn't easy to find at your local coffee shop? Maybe this will be the new thing.

Walnut milk

1 cup raw walnut pieces

3 cups water

pinch of salt (I used the pink Himalayan kinds)

I suppose you can soak the walnuts overnight to start the process but I didn't. I put all ingredients in my Vitamix and blended starting at the low end of the dial and turning it gradually to 10 and let it go for about a minute. I then poured it through a fine strainer and re-blended it. The solids separated but came together with a good shake.

It blended with my coffee as easily as half and half.

Try it before the hipsters find out and we reach peak walnut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment