Tuesday, April 22, 2014

some advice on how to grow tomatoes

Right now is the best time where I live to put in tomato plants. There is no danger of frost overnight and the days are warmer. I buy my seedlings (impatient) but I do one thing that ensures really strong healthy plants. I cut off all the leaves except the ones at the very top (the large ones at the crown) and then plant my seedling almost all the way up to those leaves. All the nodules at the base will develop roots to bring in moisture and nourish the baby plant.

When I water the plants I water them deeply and regularly--not superficially so the moisture just stays on the surface to evaporate in the sun. The water goes down to those deep developing roots and sustains the plant despite baking heat that drys the surface out.

When the seedling takes off it grows tall, bushes out and immediately starts to put out blossoms. I pluck these initial blossoms off for the first couple of weeks until I know the night won't drop below a certain temperature. At this point I stake the plants. Only then do I allow blossoms to develop. When fruit begins to form I then carefully begin a process of removing secondary leaves. I only leave on a few per branch allowing the most nutrition to flow to the developing fruit. As a result, I get far more giant beefsteak tomatoes in a season than I can use. I enjoy giving these colorful, meaty fruits away to my family and close friends.

None of these actions take much time but they have a huge impact on the quality of my tomato crop.

There is nothing magical about my process. It's all about paying attention and doing things that I know will make a difference. I don't spend every minute of every day but I give my plants consistent care. From the outside people may look at my tomato plants and think I have a special talent or other advantage. Nope, just practice. I look forward to seeing to seeing my crop develop and I look forward to sharing the results with others. It's a multi layered process. Additionally I've chosen to not grow other things so this one crop does well. What I don't do is as important as what I do do.

Everything else in life is like this. Taking up a language, a musical instrument, trying out a new hobby, learning skills for your career, writing a book--energy flows where attention goes. What seems small and underdeveloped to you right now has great potential to grow and thrive if you care for it. The DNA of every pursuit has written within it a roadmap for its success. Your job is to enable that growth with attention and by cutting out the things that impede it.

What do you wish to grow today?

No comments:

Post a Comment